Friday, March 19, 2010

New favorite cookbook

My new favorite cookbook which may conveniently disappear from the library because I love it so much is called The Pioneer Woman Cooks by Ree Drummond. Oh my goodness, what an awesome cookbook. I have made several of her recipes over the past few weeks and I have loved all of them. So simple and so tasty. I've made bbq jalapeno poppers, chicken spaghetti, cowboy calzones, pico de gallo, guacamole, cheesy olive bread( hands down, my favorite), sour cream pancakes, and pizza crust. Wow, I didn't realize I had made so many! Usually I will just make a few recipes, if any, from a cookbook. Seriously, everything in this cookbook looks amazing. She has tons of step by step pictures of all the recipes. No, I am not getting paid to extol this cookbook, but if you like good, all American food with a twist this is the book for you. Very family friendly too. Okay, I will stop going on and on and give you some recipes.

Olive Cheese Bread

one 14.5 ounce can black olives drained(I used 2 small cans chopped olives)
one 6 ounce jar pimiento stuffed green olives drained
2 green onions
1 stick butter softened
1/2 cup mayo( I use light, it makes me feel better about all the cheese and butter)
1 lb Monterey Jack cheese, grated
1 loaf crusty french bread

Preheat the oven to 325
Give the olives and green onions a rough chop. In a large bowl combine the butter, mayo, cheese chopped olives and green onions. Stir until thoroughly combined. Slice the french bread in half lengthwise. Spread the olive-cheese mixture in an even layer on each half. Bake for 20-25 minutes and enjoy!

BBQ Jalapeno Poppers

18 fresh jalapenos
one 8 ounce pkg light cream cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheese( whatever kind you have)
1 green onion sliced
18 slices thin bacon, cut into halves
bbq sauce
toothpicks
rubber gloves for working with the jalapenos(trust me you want to use these)

Cut jalapenos in half lengthwise and scrape out as much or little of the seed and membranes as you would like. I leave some of them in for heat but if you are wimp about spice then scrape those suckers clean. Combine cream cheese, shredded cheese, and chopped green onion. Stuff each jalapeno half with the cheese mixture. Wrap bacon slices around each half, covering as much of the surface as you can. Brush the surface of the bacon with your favorite bbq sauce. Secure the jalapenos with toothpicks and cook them in a 275 oven( this is what the cookbook said,but I ended up turning the oven to 350 about halfway through) for an hour or until the bacon is nice and sizzling.


2 comments:

  1. oh, i love the pioneer woman! have you followed her blog? she is on my "blogs i read" list. not only does she have incredible recipes, she is also so entertaining!

    i have been wanting to try those jalapeno poppers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy, I had never heard of her until my husband brought her cookbook home(he is a librarian). I looked at her blog for the first time last week. You are right, she is very entertaining. Her cookbook is SO good! I just made another one of her recipes tonight, twice baked potatoes(yum!)

    ReplyDelete